Double Smoked Cheddar Cheese, Ham, Asparagus Crepes
Wafer-thin crêpes, smoked ham, vegetables, all enhanced with delicious and fragrant Double Smoked Cheddar Cheese – ideal for entertaining, brunches, buffets, special occasions.
- 1/4 cup Lactantia butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 cups Beatrice milk
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1-1/2 cups Shredded Balderson Double Smoked Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup beatrice milk
- 6 tbsp. water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- ½ tsp salt
- 24 prepared crêpes, 6-inch (15 cm)
- 24 thin slices smoked ham (approx. 550 g)
- 48 thin asparagus spears, trimmed and blanched (2 bunches/ppprox. 800 g)
- 2 sweet red peppers, cored and sliced into 48 thin strips (optional)
- 3-1/2 cups shredded Balderson Double Smoked Cheddar Cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- Melt Lactantia butter in medium saucepan.
- Whisk in flour and mustard; cook 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Gradually whisk in Beatrice milk; cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Remove from heat.
- Add wine and Balderson Double Smoked Cheddar Cheese; stir until melted. Stir in black pepper. Set aside.
- Beat eggs until light. Stir in Beatrice milk and water. While whisking, gradually add flour and salt; whisk until smooth.
- Brush some melted Lactantia butter on a small (6-inch/15 cm) frying pan or crêpe pan. Place over medium-high heat until butter is sizzling.
- Pour 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) of batter quickly into the pan and tilt the pan back and forth to spread the batter evenly.
- When lightly browned on the bottom, gently slide crêpe to a plate or work surface. To assure tenderness, crêpes should not be turned over in the pan.
- Repeat process, buttering pan each time, until batter is used up.
- Line each crêpe with 1 ham slice, 2 asparagus spears, and 2 red pepper strips (optional). Top with 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) shredded Balderson Double Smoked Cheddar Cheese.
- Roll up tightly and place in one of 2 buttered 13×9-inch (3.5L) baking dishes. Repeat to make 24 crêpes, 12 in each dish.
- Spoon Cheese Sauce over crêpes in both dishes. Sprinkle each with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 400° F (200° C), uncovered, for 25 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned. Sprinkle with green onions.
This recipe calls for 500g of Balderson Double Smoked Cheddar Cheese; which yields 5 cups (1.25L) of (packed) shredded cheese.