Cheddar and Thyme Savoury Shortbread
These cheesy shortbread cookies are a great addition to any cheese platter or charcuterie board.
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups (200 g) finely shredded Balderson Double Smoked Cheddar Cheese, divided
- Stir together flour, salt, pepper and cayenne until combined; set aside. In separate bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture and thyme; beat on low speed just until dough comes together. Beat in 1 1/2 cups (150 g) Cheddar just until combined (do not overmix).
- Divide dough into two portions. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). One at a time, on lightly floured work surface, roll out each portion of dough into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thickness. Using 2-inch (5 cm) round cookie cutters, cut out shortbread rounds, rerolling scraps once. Place on parchment paper¬–lined baking sheet, spacing at least 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Sprinkle tops of rounds with remaining Cheddar.
- Bake in batches for 15 to 20 minutes or until pale golden on bottom. Let cool completely on rack.
Sprinkle sesame seeds over shortbread rounds before baking if desired.